Leave a comment

The final curtain call for David Ferguson

Tynesides’s two-time Prizefighter David Ferguson steps back into the ring one final time on Saturday night and has admitted it feels like he’s having his professional debut all over again.

Ferguson headlines Steve Wraith’s second show on Saturday at Newcastle’s O2 Academy in his farewell bout, to finally say goodbye to the sport and his hometown fans after not boxing since his shock defeat to Larry Olubamiwo back in 2010.

Ferguson said: “I’m very excited, it feels like my first professional fight again. I’m hoping the fans will give me a big reception as it will be an honour to have one last fight, and with it being in Newcastle is brilliant I want to thank Steve Wraith for helping me with closure in my career.”

Ferguson lost to Olubamiwo in June 2005 after a the big hitter knocked him out just 1 minute and 52 seconds in to the fight. David, after, called the whole thing a farce and clearly feels he wasn’t protected much by promoter Frank Maloney.

The Olubamiwo fight came just three weeks after his previous fight leaving the Geordie lion heart with little time to prepare and he says everything just went wrong for him.

Following the defeat ‘Fergie’ was supposed to get back in the ring but fights fell through and again it appeared his promoters were not doing enough for him.

The 36 year-old reflected the past, saying: “[Frank] Maloney said he couldn’t get me a comeback opponent unless I went straight back in with a top ranked heavyweight and at that moment in time I wasn’t ready to go back in with a top ranked opponent as I’d had 8 months off and was coming off a loss and had virtually no sparring up here.”

As a result David slowly drifted away from fighting due to no fights coming up and in July last year he announced his retirement from the sport. Even then though he refused to rule out ever returning to the ring and now, just 16 months later, Wraith has made that a reality.

 

“It’s something I’ve thought about every day since my last fight because I didn’t want my career to end the way it did,” David said. “Steve Wraith mentioned it and with him trying to put Newcastle back on the boxing map I thought it was the ideal scenario for me to don the gloves one last time and say farewell to boxing on my terms. The fact it’s in Newcastle is unreal, it’s like a rocky story and I was always a big rocky fan!”

David’s opponent on the night (excluding a late change) will be Hungarian Sandor Balogh who brings an unimpressive record of 3-26-4 but, as with most Eastern European’s, is tough and will come to rough Fergie up. His last fight, in October, was a fourth round TKO defeat to British heavyweight Dillian Whyte; the up and coming disgraced boxer who recently failed a drugs test.

Win, lose or draw, David Ferguson has said that this will be his last fight. He made it clear how thankful he was to Wraith for the opportunity and all the fans for the support but when asked what the fight was mostly about for him, he couldn’t have been more surer in his answer that: “It’s about leaving the sport I have done since I was ten on my terms.”

Tickets for the show are still available from all boxers and from www.wraithpromotions.com.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: